1. Name: Melissa
2. Age: 15, soon to be 16
3. Where do you see yourself in 5 years? In my Junior year in college, most likely studying abroad in England or France(although that may change). I would like to be in a Model U.N. and plan to join the Peace Corps once I graduate.
4. Which of the characters do you most relate to? Ronald Weasley, because he's always trapped in Harry's shadow, always trying to best his brothers, and he's poor. Perhaps that's a stupid reason to relate to a person, because they're poor like you, but I can feel his anger and annoyance by always being second-best, by never having the money to afford what all of your friends can buy without thinking twice.
5. Who is your least favorite character? There are a handful of characters I dislike for the way they act, the way they carry themselves, but my least favorite character is Lucius Malfoy. He is so blatantly fake and vicous and conniving. He puts on one face for the Ministry, another for Dumbledore, another for Lord Voldemort, another for his family, and another for Dobby. He lives to serve his Master, but yet I'm certain that if he was strong enough and was given the chance he'd love to hold the position of 'Dark Lord'. Lucius Malfoy represents to me the worst kind of evil. The kind that lurks in the shadows and under doorsteps, waiting for just the right moment to sneak in and destroy the world (COS: Riddle's diary in Ginny's cauldron).
6. What would you see when you look into the Mirror of Erised?I would see myself with a complete family. A father who loved and wanted me, and mother who was happy and fufilled, a proper home, and myself as a whole person because of it.
7. What would your boggart be?I fear lonliness, being alone, so my boggart would be myself alone, with no one to save me from myself.
8. Dark Magic: Tell us your thoughts. Is there such a thing? Or is magic only dark because of the motivation behind its use? Magic is what you make it. Your life can be good or bad depending on what you do and the choices you make, and I feel that magic is the same way. Magic will respond to your true intentions, and if it manifests itself as "Dark", then it is you who is dark.
9. What is your favorite non-Harry Potter book? Quote something from it and tell us why you chose that line.
That's actually a very difficult choice. It's so difficult to choose just one favorite book, because I'm a bit of an addict. I guess if I was forced to pick it'd have to be "The Truth About Forever" by Sarah Dessen.
"'It's the same thing,' I told her.
'Being afraid and being alive.'
'No,' she said slowly, and now it was as if she was speaking a language she knew at first I wouldn't understand, the very words, not to mention the concept, being foreign to me. 'Macy, no. It's not.'"
I guess that bit really speaks to me, although the whole book does, especially the passage I took that bit from. It forced me at the time to realize that I wasn't really living, just going through the motions. I wanted to live every moment, every second, every nanosecond to the fullest. You can't be afraid of anything, and you can't be afraid of life, because being afraid will only ever hold you back, and if you're going to live, you've got to move foward.
10. You are sitting in your house common room when you notice that another student has left a book lying on the table. You pick it up and realize it is their personal diary. What do you do? I would most likely glance at it to see whose it was, and return it. If, however, it was the diary of someone I needed to know about, I may read it. For example, I once read my mother's college diary because there were things that happened to her during those years that I felt I had a right to know.
11. Would you use an Unforgivable Curse under any circumstances, and if so, what would those be? I would use an Unforgivable Curse if my life or the life of my closest friends or family was on the line. If it was kill or be killed, I would most definitley throw Avada Kedavra at my enemy. I would never use the two other Unforgivables because there really is no room for Cruciatis or Imperius when you're fighting a kill or be killed sort of fight. And frankly, they're cop-outs.
12. Do you think Harry was right or wrong to use his cloak to get to Hogsmeade in the 3rd book? I would've done it. Yes, Harry could've been killed, but take the Dementors and the supposed "Crazed" Sirius Black out of the picture for a moment. The only reason Harry couldn't go to Hogsmeade in the first place was because Vernon Dursley refused to sign the permission form. So Harry was within full rights to sneak into Hogsmeade in any way he could, regardless of the "dangers".
13. What's one thing you would do if you knew you would suffer no consequences from it? I would speak out, speak up for myself to all of the people who underestimate me and my power.
14. Someone has graffitied a hateful remark about your House on one of the walls in the Great Hall. Luckily for you, you overhear a conversation between House elves who witnessed the perpetrator, and you alone know who did it. What do you do? What if the remark had been done by another house, and was about a house that wasn't your own? I'd say something to the person, something rude and perhaps uncalled for, and I'd most likely end up starting a fight by saying something about their house, or them. I'm notorius for starting fights and not finishing them. If it was about another house, I'd probably say something regardless, because I don't tollerate snide comments about someone because they're different. Although, if it was about Slytherin, for example, (and I'm not saying Slytherin because I'm against the house, I'm just apt to not like many of the people there because of the way they act) I wouldn't say anything, because I'd feel theywere getting what they deserved.
15. What do you really think of Snape? Is he fair in the things he does? Snape is, well, he's a difficult one. I don't think that he is fair towards the Gryffindors when he grades, the way he is so snide and rude to Harry because of James and Sirius, the way he is so cold and cruel to Hermione for being Muggle-born and smarter than any of his house, his terrorizing of Neville and his general ice cold demeanor. Regardless of his personal feelings towards a student or the house they happen to be in, he should not let that affect his grading or the way he treats them in his classroom. He is an adult and a teacher, and he should be beyond that. I'm not sure what I think of him, but where I feel that Draco is misunderstood and doesn't know who he is and acts for favour in his father's eyes, I feel that Snape is anything but. As my friend said to me, Snape has a chip on his shoulder, and he needs to grow up and get over it.
16. Do you like the idea of a school being split into four separate houses? What about school unity? Hogwarts could potentially unite to fight Lord Voldemort, because very few people in that school truly wish for the Dark Lord to take over Magical Britian. However, I sincerly doubt that the school and its students could unite under much else. It seems to me that they're always finding a reason to hate the other houses, and that breaking the students into houses only serves to drive the wedge between them deeper. Perhaps this is pessimistic, but I feel it's true.
17. Which are more important: Friends or Family? Blood is stronger than water, right? I would die for my mother, and I would defend my true family to anyone who would dare to disrespect them. But my friends are my family. They are there for me when I'm stupid, when I'm sad, happy, crazy, and lost. And where you bond with your family because you share DNA and you sort of have to, your friends are there because they really truly love you. My friends have done for me what I could not do for myself, and have saved me from sure defeat many, many times. Without them I would die. So I guess you could say that I feel my friends are more important to me than my DNA family.
18. Some people think the Weasley twins are funny, while others find them mean spirited. How do you feel, and why? Ahh, the twins. How I love them. They are funny, and they bring happiness and light into dark times with their jokes (HBP- their joke shop sign: U-No-Poo). And yes, they can be rude and mean in their jokes, but then again, aren't we all at one point or another? I do think that the twins use their jokes to stand out from their brothers, and to hide something in themselves that they would rather the world not see. Perhaps feelings of inadequacy, or self-doubt?
19. Do you consider a first impression to be the only impression a person can give? Why or why not? No. A first impression speaks volumes about a person, and gives you a surface view of who they are. A person can seem nice and beautiful and funny when you first meet them, and you think, hey, I like this person. But it is really only once you get to know them, and you spend more time with them that you see the true person, that you can figure out whether that first impression was one of truth, or one of decipt.
20. You've been asked to invent a new spell to be taught at Hogwarts. What is the name of the spell, what does it do, and what is the incantation? Paxos. The spell would bring peace of mind to the caster. I'm a pacifist at heart, and I'd love to have a spell to just give me peace of mind, to clear my head of all thoughts and just give me relaxation.
21. Think about a negative past experience and tell us how it affected you. What did you learn from it? If you could go back and change it now, would you? A while back, I was involved quite deeply with a man I met on the internet. I was willing to lose my friends, my family, my freedom, and my innocence for a person I knew so little about. Thankfully, my friends saved me from doing permanent damage. I realized that I was too naive, to willing to look past the dangers and problems on the surface so long as love was promised me. I learned that my friends were right nine times out of ten, and that if someone truly loved me, they would never ask me to compromise myself for them. And, if I could change it, I don't think I would. Because if I went back and undid all of my mistakes, espically my big ones, I would never have learned, never have grown, and I'd just keep making the same mistakes over and over until they either bit me in the ass or killed me.
22. If you happened across the Room of Requirement, what would you find? A place where I could worship and feel and talk to God with no reservations, where I could let my guard down and just be. A sanctuary that was both outside and in, that could be cozy in the winter, and cool in the summer, with shelves lined with all of the books I could ever want to read, and all of the music that I could ever dream of listening to.
23. What would you be willing to die for? Freedom, Purity, God, and the people I love more than life itself.
24. If you died, would you want to come back as a ghost? Why or why not? No. As a ghost you are tied to one place, forced to watch eternity passing before your eyes, unable to stop fate. You would be forced to see those you loved wither and die, be born, and die...Just like the use of Unforgivable Curses, remaining on earth as a ghost is a cop-out.
25. Hermione has asked you to support S.P.E.W. (read: flagged you down and cornered you with a box of buttons that she shakes in your face to "entice" you to join). What is your response? Like Neville, I'd probably just pay the Sickles to get her off my back. Don't get me wrong, I'm a protester at heart, I love fighting for the rights and freedoms that people are denied. I might help her out for a while, but I'd get bored with it, and maybe even say something slightly rude.
26. What field of study would you most want to enter into, and why, once you graduated from Hogwarts? International Magical Relations. I love to travel, and to see foreign places. I'm also very involved in causes for freedoms and international aide in countries such as Uganda. I'm good with languages, and I'm well versed in the histories of cultures. I, like Hermione, find history and ancient languages fascinating.
27. True or False: Rules are meant to be broken. Explain. Most rules are made for stupid people and stupid reasons by stupid people fueled by stupid reasons. I don't normally break rules, unless I find them pointless and not crucial in maintaining my overall welfare. I've been known to push the rules, and sometimes break them. If the rule means protecting my life, or something that's just logical (ie: Don't touch the hot stove. Why? Because it's hot!), I'm not apt to break it.
28. You have one day to live. How do you spend your last day alive? Running. I would run, as hard and long and fast as I possibly could. I would tell everyone exactly how I felt, and what I believed for them, and I would love them all more fully than I'd ever loved them before. I'd kiss those boys I've been aching to kiss. I'd fly.
29. Do you think Dumbledore was correct in shielding certain truths from Harry? Why or why not? Yes and no. I think perhaps that Dumbledore kept Harry in the dark for too long. Yes, Dumbledore wanted to give Harry time to grow up so he was mature enough to accept it, but then again, Dumbledore omitted things for selfish reasons. He never told Harry just what exactly happened to his hand, but he expects Harry to go about finding the rest of the Horcruxes and destroying them, without knowing the precautions to take. Perhaps Dumbledore was only trying to give Harry a semblance of a normal childhood, but that has left Harry unprepared for the tasks ahead of him, and that was foolish.
30. Finally, what house do you think you belong in? Gosh, this is one of the reasons I'm taking this sorting, although not the only one (RP!). I've taken quiz after quiz after quiz. I normally come up as Gryffindor, but I feel like I'm cheating somehow. I once came up as Ravenclaw, and that just didn't make sense to me, and neither did the one time I came out as Slytherin. I took a verified test done by psycologists the other day and came out as 80% Hufflepuff and 78% Gryffindor. I don't have a problem being placed in Hufflepuff, I mean, Ernie and Cedric were Hufflepuffs and they rock(ed), yeah? I'll say I want to be a Gryffindor, but if I end up as a Gryffindor, it should be because I really am, and not just because I'd love to be there.
31. Oh, and one more thing. Just to make it easier on us for pointing, who told you about us? My best friend, Palantiriell
Current Mood: hopeful